No products in the cart.
Do you want to grow more of your favorite cannabis plant without purchasing another or starting from seed again? Cloning might be the right choice for you. A cannabis plant clone is a cutting from a living marijuana plant (called a mother plant) that is then grown into a plant itself. This clone has the same genetic makeup as the mother plant so you can have more of your favorite and most fruitful plants. Learn how you can clone a cannabis plant for robust growth.
How to Clone Cannabis Plants
Step 1: Choose the right mother plant
A healthy mother plant will be at least two months into the vegetative cycle and will not have started flowering yet. Your plant might be a good candidate for a mother plant if it is:
- Sturdy with vibrant growth
- Has great aromas and flavors
- Produces big yields
- Has dense trichomes
- Is resistant to pests and mold
Step 2: Select your rooting medium and setup
There are many options for rooting mediums where your cutting will work to grow roots and become a clone. Common choices include:
- Rooting cubs (you’ll also need a tray, tray-cell insert, and dome)
- Rockwool, which is a melted rock that has been spun into a fine thread
- Peat moss
- Minerals like perlite and vermiculite
Step 3: Take your cutting from the mother plant
To take a cutting from the mother plant, you should:
- Ensure a sterile environment
- Find a branch that is sturdy and healthy. There should be at least two nodes on the final cutting, so you will need to make sure the branch is long enough. Remember that a sturdy cutting will help give you a sturdy plant!
- Cut the clone off of the mother plant by cutting above the node. You can either use a blade or scissors.
- Use a razor to cut below the bottom node at a 45-degree angle to the branch. This helps increase the surface area of the rooting surface to help your plant grow faster.
Step 4: Transplant your clone to your nursery setup
After you take your cutting, you should first remove any unnecessary leaves at the bottom. Then, clip off the tips of the remaining fan leaves. This process helps support photosynthesis and increases the uptake of nutrients and water.
Once you have your cutting trimmed and ready, you should put it immediately into the rooting hormone and then directly into a root cube.
Step 5: Plant your clone in your soil or soilless mix
Many clones are ready to transplant into your final setup within 10-14 days, though it varies so should you check on your clones daily. Your clone is ready when the white roots are 1″L to 2″L. When this happens, you should:
- Put your soil media mix in your pot
- Water the soil prior to transplanting to ensure the plant doesn’t shift
- Dig a hole approximately 1-2″ deep to bury all the roots
- Place your clone in the hole and gently cover the roots with soil to keep it from shifting
Ensure Your Clone Has the Right Start with Harvest Hero Enhanced Perlite Mix
The Harvest Hero Enhanced Perlite Mix is a one-of-a-kind mix designed to help your plants thrive throughout the critical vegetative growth. With the many benefits of our blend of perlite, diatomaceous earth, essential macronutrients, and a neutral pH, Harvest Hero Enhanced Perlite Mix shows great success in cannabis growth. Compared to a traditional control group of a perlite and peat moss, Harvest Hero Enhanced Perlite Mix resulted in:
- Improve Soil Conditions for an Increase in flower bud dry weight.
- Improve Soil Conditions for an increase in CBD yields.
- Improve Soil Conditions for an increase in plant diameter.
- Improve Soil Conditions for an increase in plant height.
- Improve Soil Conditions for an increase in nitrogen accumulation.
- Improve Soil Conditions for an increase in phosphorous accumulation.
- Improve Soil Conditions for an increase in potassium accumulation.
Not sure what size bag you need? See our Grower’s Guide to help you figure out how much Enhanced Perlite Mix you’ll need to ensure a robust crop.